Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother challenged.

Surely, the bittersweet, overly tacky, Mother's Day corporate holiday is the proverbial salt in my motherless wounds. However, I did once have a mother and as abrupt as it was, I relish the nurturing and unequivocal love I received. My mother was a goddess. Sure, maybe I put her on a pedestal from nearly 24 years without her, but all I can reflect upon is pure joy and beauty. This humbles ineffably. The bond between a mother and child, especially a mother and daughter, is omnipotent. 

I also was a mother, even though my daughter was only felt in utero and only for a short 7 months before she passed. I did know the feeling. Graciously, I will revel that some may never know even that much and that it's somehow a blessing, even though it also stings. As much as it's challenged me, I also am tremendously thankful for a feeling I can never explain or erase. 

However, I do think that the stenciled out, common banter I see advertised and really, exploited for Mother's Day is rather stale. Yes, I know that most people aren't  good with words but clearly your kids are your 'everything, whole world, light, meaning for life,' etc. I mean, if they aren't you're a shitty parent. I guess I just wish people were more profound instead of spewing off regurgitated, vapid phrases everyone says. Just as I feel about every hallmark infested holiday, you should uplift and honor your loved ones everyday and never get caught up in a psuedo-celebration. 

Yes, I'm bitter. Yes, I'm jaded. Maybe it's not the right way to feel but at least it's honest. I just feel like it's kind of innocuous to celebrate something that often springs from ill-intentions. Being a parent is a hard job, I wouldn't ever dispute that. However, it's not impossible. I do feel living without a mother is much harder but there isn't a holiday for that is there? I don't like people who seek recognition for something they chose to do. Reap what you sow. 

Maybe in the future there will be a time with less praise for mediocrity and more for perseverance and survival. Until then, I urge you to show gratitude to people in your life in a genuine manner, not just when 1-800-flowers tells you to. It's easy to buy flowers or other material possessions to 'show' how much you care. I just think there is so much more to validate and empower your loved ones. They may not be there one day. Do something more. 




No comments:

Post a Comment