Monday, October 28, 2013

Taking offense

It's a perplexing thing the 'art' of taking offense of things and taking things personally. I won't lie and say that I haven't struggled with it myself. If you think about it though, it's really a choice. Taking offense to something isn't someone else's doing- it's yours. Therefore if you get offended by things then it is a choice. Why give something negative power? Why choose to take offense? To me, thats only letting someone get the best of you. 

Passion is something that some exhibit and some do not. I understand that passion can fuel an exuberance behind taking offense or taking something personal. I get that. But what I don't get it why we choose to do this when we could just as easily choose not to? And furthermore, how do we do this? I guess it's depends on the nature of the subject. 

People who project anger onto others to get a reaction and pure ignorance are two entirely different stances on this. Having an adult debate is ideal yet some people also feel the need to bully or belittle others, especially online these days, where people hide behind technology and grow 'faux balls'. No one likes an internet tough guy and to me trolling internet to start shit or flame someone is infantile. Standing up for yourself is one thing but then again even acknowledging bullshit like that still gives then power. 

I guess the best advice I can give, and by no means am I an expert, is to ignore. It's something that was a monumental  lesson for me. Humans seem too quick to get wrapped up in emotion and respond quickly when provoked. I find that when someone is trying to mess with me, it's easier to just ignore them. I refuse to justify people who are negative and trying to get a reaction from me. It just doesn't happen. Besides, a lovely side to this is how angry people get when you don't. It's kind of humorous. Some people just feed off of pushing buttons and I just won't play that game. I think I'm just too old for it anymore, I feel it's immature. 

I jut don't know why people can't have an adult conversation and instead choose to verbally abusing someone because you're unhappy with yourself. Some people are just nasty people and it  is pathetic. Don't allow them the power to offend you. Let that's shit roll right off you. Seriously, try it. It makes such a huge difference for me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment