Sunday, January 19, 2014

Black Bean, Avocado and Cherry Tomato Salad




I love light, flavorful untraditional salads like this. I totally dig this salad because it's super simple and really hits the spot. I happened to have had a surplus of black beans on hand and I didn't have the foggiest notion what to do with them. I decided I wanted a light salad but I really don't care for corn, which most of the black bean recipes had in them that I found. I found a few recipes I liked and kind of made my own with the things I had on hand. You could definitely play around with this recipe. I think adding sweet potato, sunflower seeds, some kind of green leafy veggie like spinach or kale would all work nicely here too but, I didn't have any of those on hand. You could also use goat cheese or omit the cheese completely to make his vegan. Enjoy! 

Ingredients:

15 oz of black beans [I bought dry beans and soaked them in water over night but a can would do]
1 avocado, chopped 
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/3 cup feta cheese

Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil 
1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp parsley [I used dry]
3-4 cloves of garlic
Pinch of red pepper flake 
Salt and pepper to taste 


In a bowl combine black beans, avocado, tomato and feta. In a food processor, purée all ingredients for dressing until desired consistency is achieved. Pour dressing over salad and serve. Makes approximately 4-5 servings but, I just eat it out of the bowl until I'm full. Refrigerate leftovers. 



No comments:

Post a Comment