Saturday, November 9, 2013

Day 9- music

I am an avid music fan. Both of my parents were musicians and they were in a band before I was born, so it's in my blood. I grew up on classic rock. Also a lot of Beatles, fleetwood mac, heart, journey, pink Floyd etc.  I have find memories of my dad playing guitar when I was a kid. It was always so calming. 

Although I didn't really start expanding my musical taste until high school I really never wanted to limit myself to just one genre. I can truly say I like a little bit of almost everything. I went through a lot of phases through my life and I'm sure there are more to come so I've been exposed to a large variety. From goth [joy division, sisters of mercy, Cocteau twins] to crust punk [germs, crass] to psychobilly [koffin kats, mad sin] to electronic synth pop, [depeche mode, q lazzurus] etc. I love 80s and  90s almost collectively, sans shitty pop music but even some of that I love. I like old school rap- nothing new really [fuck paper gangsters]. I dig grunge, trip hop, electronica, old school R & B. I love whiskey drinking music, some pop punk a early emo and hardcore. Country [real country like patsy cline], progressive rock, alternative, black metal, hair metal, classical. I am completely infatuated with math rockers like Dillinger escape plan and I love way out there shit, so basically anything by mike Patton. I like jazz, funk, blues, swing. I LOVE bluegrass music, as I grew up in Kentucky. I could go on all day. 

I grew up around music. The college I attended has one of the best music programs in the country so, although I wasn't a music major [even though I took private vocal lessons, was in choir and a musical], I picked up a few things! I was in choir for 18 years and I have also been in a couple of bands here and there although nothing serious came from them. I have competed and won awards for singing in my younger years also. So you can see its in my veins. 

I'm all about playlists and assembling the perfect driving mix. Ask anyone you know if I made them a mix cd and I  guarantee it was memorable. It's the backdrop for life. Music helps us remember or forget. It eases tension and is probably the healthiest of creative outlets. It was always my favorite class in school. I'm overjoyed that music is now practically free. I just wish that all the over produced, talentless, vapid shit that was played on the radio would disappear forever because I believe in organic, gifted musicians that write their own music and play their own instruments. I feel that this generation has missed the point. Music was never supposed to be about making money. It was about expressing yourself back in the day. Hopefully one day it will return to its grassroots because I'm sure it's saved my life many times over as well as yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment